Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Time Well Spent


I feel I have learned so much throughout my coursework at Walden University.  I began the program with six years experience as a preschool director.  I felt by attending this program I could make my school a better place.  Now that I have completed this program I realize I have gained so much more than knowledge regarding the field.  This program has changed who I am, the way I perceive my profession, and my intentions for the future.
            Three main things I feel deeply resonated within me throughout this program are as follows: the importance of equity in education, the importance of building a budget around the mission and vision of the program, and the responsibility of every early childhood professional to pursue advocacy for their children and families.  As far as equity in education, I now understand that what is equitable for all students does not necessarily mean equal.  It is extremely important to get to know each family and child and recognize their needs in order to provide them with the best educational experience and assistance required.   Considering the mission and vision of a program prior to allocating any funding is crucial; not only to ensure you are meeting your intended goals, but to provide transparency to stakeholders.  Finally, I have never considered myself as a possible advocate.  I always intended on helping my families in any way I could, but I never thought about pushing the envelope, so to speak, and fighting for something I believe in.
            Now that I have finished my program I have definitely set the long-term goal of advocating for school choice vouchers.  Through my research it became clear that the state of Florida has already come so far in offering vouchers to special needs children and tax-credits to corporations who fund scholarships for low-income families.  I feel that with the right community of practice and a high level of perseverance, this goal is very realistic.  I will be forever grateful to Walden University for opening up my eyes to the fact that one person can make a difference.
            My favorite quote from this program is from Mahatma Gandhi: “Be the change that you wish to see in this world”.  Before enrolling in this program I guess I always felt as if I was powerless when it came to educational policy.  Throughout my coursework, I have been inspired by my instructors, colleagues, and the research I have conducted based on advocates before me.  I now feel I am equipped with the tools I need to fulfill the passion I have for the future of private education in the state of Florida and beyond. 
Thank you to everyone who has walked down this road with me!  I feel I am now a more passionate, professional individual, and I plan to use what I have learned to become the magnetic, transformational leader I know I can be for my staff at Sunlight Christian Academy (pictured below).  We will continue to strive to create a better future, one child at a time!

5 comments:

  1. Sarah,
    I wish you the best in advocating and working towards school vouchers for all. As I read your blog, I thought, "wow, what might the future hold for education?" Whatever it may be, it is people like you and all of us at Walden that will make a positive difference in the future. Take care, and best wishes.
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah,
    We have all certainly come a long way over these months. I too feel like I have come away with so much more than I ever expected. You will achieve your goal of advocating for school vouchers in Florida. The commitment to your families that was very apparent throughout our discussions and your strong faith will be the driving force as you move forward.
    I have enjoyed reading your blog and discussion posts. I also appreciate the support you provided when things were getting difficult.
    I wish you the very best in all you do.
    Blessings,
    Judi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah,
    Thank you for sharing! It has been a pleasure working with you. I wish you the best of luck in your future in devours. Continue to keep that drive to help low income families.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Sarah,

    I love your last sentence: “We will continue to strive to create a better future, one child at a time!” Certainly, we can create a better future, but we have to work on the individual needs of each child and family, in order to effectively help them as they need. With this philosophy in mind the early childhood field has a great advocate on you.

    Best wishes in your personal and professional projects. Thank you for sharing Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarah,
    It has been a pleasure to have been in class with you through a great deal of my time here at Walden. I look forward to reading what you have to share. I hope that you are able to reach the new goals you have set for yourself. We certainly have come a long way! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete