Sunday, October 14, 2012

Adjourning


Adjourning from a Team


Adjourning  is the final stage of group development in the teamwork theory. This is the period of time when the team's work is finished and everyone begins to move their separate ways.  "This stage is also known as the mourning stage" (Project-Management-Skills.com, n.d.) because the team members have usually formed close knit relationships and it becomes hard to say goodbye.

This stage is important because the team can congratulate each other on work well done.  Although the current project is complete it is possible some members may work together on future projects, so ending on a positive note is always important.  

Studying this topic makes me think of when we built the new wing on our church for what is currently my preschool.  The church staff and myself worked closely with several professionals, such as the construction crew, the computer people, and the painting crew.  We worked through the project with many ups and downs, often enjoyed lunch together and celebrated each milestone as it was completed.  Once the project was complete it was truly bitter sweet.  The adjourning stage was enjoying the new building and polishing off the odds and ends.  When the building was ready for occupancy we all hugged and said our goodbyes.  I really miss seeing the people I worked with, but I have recommended them for other jobs and talked to them on the phone from time to time.  It was a great experience!

I know adjourning from this program will be similar.  Although we will not be working together directly once we complete our courses, I hope to maintain connections with my colleagues and know that I can turn to them for advice and support if I need to.

References

Project-Management-Skills.com (n.d.). [Website]. Teamwork theory: Stages of group development.  

1 comment:

  1. Sarah,
    As our course on communication and collaboration winds down, I want to thank you for the contributions you have made to our dicussions and through your blog. I have especially enjoyed reading your thoughtful perspective in all that you have contributed. As we move on to the final phase of our journey toward our Master's Degree, I wish you the very best. The work you do at the school greatly benefits the children and their families. Your staff should be especially appreciatve of having someone who is as commpasionate and caring as you are in that leadership role.
    I sincerely hope our paths cross again.
    Judi

    ReplyDelete